Winners of the Vasari Award
- Caroline Goeser. Picturing the New Negro: Harlem Renaissance Print Culture and Modern Black Identity. University Press of Kansas.
- Two winners:
Anthony Alofsin. When Buildings Speak: Architecture as Language in the Habsburg Empire and Its Aftermath, 1867–1933. University of Chicago Press.
Randall C. Griffin. Winslow Homer: An American Vision. Phaidon.
- Adam Herring. Art and Writing in the Maya Cities, A.D. 600–800: A Poetics of Line. Cambridge University Press.
- Randall C. Griffin. Homer, Eakins, and Anshutz: The Search for American Identity in the Gilded Age. Pennsylvania State University Press.
- John R. Clarke. Art in the Lives of Ordinary Romans: Visual Representation and Non-Elite Viewers in Italy, 100 B.C.–A.D. 315. University of California Press.
- Jeffrey Chipps Smith. Sensuous Worship: Jesuits and the Art of the Early Catholic Reformation in Germany. Princeton University Press.
- Jacqueline Barnitz. Twentieth-Century Art of Latin America. University of Texas Press.
- Penelope J. E. Davies. Death and the Emperor: Roman Imperial Funerary Monuments, from Augustus to Marcus Aurelius. Cambridge University Press.
- Jacqueline Marie Musacchio. The Art and Ritual of Childbirth in Renaissance Italy. Yale University Press.
- John R. Clarke. Looking at Lovemaking: Constructions of Sexuality in Roman Art 100 B.C.–A.D. 250. University of California Press.
- Beth S. Wright. Painting and History During the French Restoration: Abandoned by the Past. Cambridge University Press.
- Carolyn C. Wilson. Italian Paintings, XIV–XVI Centuries in The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Houston: The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston in association with Rice University and Merrell Holberton Publishers, London.
- Janis Bergman-Carton. The Woman of Ideas in French Art, 1830–1848. Yale University Press.
- Jeffrey Chipps Smith. German Sculpture of the Later Renaissance, c. 1520–1580. Princeton University Press.
- William A. Camfield. Max Ernst: Dada and the Dawn of Surrealism. Prestel.
- Colin B. Bailey. The Loves of the Gods: Mythological Painting from Watteau to David. Kimbell Art Museum.
- Annemarie Weyl Carr. Byzantine Masterpiece Recovered: The Thirteenth-Century Murals of Lysi, Cyprus. University of Texas Press.
- No winner
- Martha Sandweiss, Ben Huseman, and Rick Stewart. Eyewitness to War: Prints and Daguerreotypes of the Mexican War, 1846–1848. Smithsonian Institution Press.
- Anthony Alofsin. Frank Lloyd Wright: An Index to the Taliesin Correspondence. Garland Publishers.
- Annemarie Weyl Carr. Byzantine Illumination, 1150–1250: The Study of a Provincial Tradition. University of Chicago Press.
- Linda Schele and Mary Ellen Miller. Blood of Kings: Dynasty and Ritual in Mayan Art. Braziller.
- William B. Jordan. Spanish Still Life in the Golden Age, 1600–1650. Kimbell Art Museum.
- Linda Dalrymple Henderson. The Fourth Dimension and Non-euclidean Geometry in Modern Art. Princeton University Press.